Since I started making my own jewelry, I thought it would be fun to make a space in my home office/craft/mom room to display some of my favorite pieces (also known as the stuff I wear most often). I have a jewelry box but I find myself getting ready in my office more often than where my actual jewelry box is located (I have no idea why). While I was cleaning out our laundry room not too long ago I stumbled upon an old screen along with that table I transformed into a sewing table. Immediately I thought “I want to use this”.
After months of sitting in my office propped on top of a bookshelf I have behind my office door, I decided to hang the screen on the wall and use it to hang jewelry. I typically take my jewelry off when I enter my office and throw it on top of this bookshelf….now the jewelry has a pretty home and doesn’t look like a cluttered mess.
- This is how I did it:
- 1 rectangle shaped screen (mine apparently goes on a window somewhere, where that window is I have no idea)
- Tacky Craft Glue
- Favorite Ribbon (I used some old ribbon I had saved from a package that was sent to me)
- Paper Clips
- Picture Hanging Strips (I didn’t want to stick this on the wall with no way to remove it, so these Command Picture Hanging Strips are what I chose to secure it to the wall- hopefully it will be easily removed whenever the time comes)
- Put it all together:
- First I cut off the pull tabs from the back of the screen, my guess is that they are used to pull the screen into place in the window but I have no need for that now since it isn’t for a window but instead for hanging jewelry.
- Next, I glued strips of ribbon around the frame with the Tacky Craft Glue to hide the metal. The silver metal was fine but I wanted something a bit more girly.
- After the glue was dried, I placed two Picture Hanging Strips on the back of the screen and stuck it to the wall according to the package directions.
- After the screen was all set up, it was time to start hanging the jewelry. I was telling my Mom about this idea and asked her what I should use to hang the jewelry on the screen. She said she used to do something similar when she was younger and that she used paper clips. Genius! I thought. And it didn’t require me to go out and buy any special kind of hooks. So I used paper clips bent in an “s” shape to hang the Jewelry (bracelets and necklaces) to the screen.
That is pretty much it. It was really easy to do and something I know I’m going to be using on a daily basis :)