Traditionally the day after Thanksgiving (also known as Black Friday) is the day when I begin to decorate my home with all of the fun, glittery reminders that Christmas is on its way…after shopping, of course. As soon as the last leftover turkey is eaten we are trimming the tree and decking the halls. Today, I’ll be sharing with you all an easy craft project to compliment your holiday decor. This is a great weekend craft using supplies that can be found at Walmart.
Walmart carries a wide variety of craft supplies. When it comes to basics they’ve definitely got you cover but they also have products that are on-trend as well. Burlap is a HUGE trend right now from burlap ribbon wreaths & burlap pillows to even burlap framed art. I’ve recently noticed my Walmart store starting to carry a lot more burlap, and I couldn’t be more excited. On a recent trip with the Walmart Moms, I was introduced to one of their newest burlap products: Conda Burlap 6×6″ squares twin packs. These little burlap squares are perfect for crafting a message to display in your holiday decor or to give as a homemade gift.
During my trip, I crafted the above “DIVA” using the burlap squares, craft glue, and glitter. I just love the way that it turned out. These letters are currently being proudly displayed in my home office. Since it is the holidays and I was sent some more burlap squares to craft with, I thought I would show you how to create a “NOEL” decor craft for your holiday decorating. Check out the video below for a brief step-by-step on how the craft is created.
Watch on YouTube: http://youtu.be/wQMsxabeZfM
- 4 6×6″ burlap squares (available at Walmart in twin packs)
- Letter Stencils of the word you want to spell out (I used NOEL); plastic stencils work the best
- Paint brush
- Plaid Extreme Glitter Acrylic Paint- black
What You’ll Need:
- Prepare your craft surface and gather your supplies. Space your 4 burlap squares out in a row.
- Place your letter stencil in the center of your burlap square and secure with frog tape around the edges to prevent the stencil from moving while painting.
- Paint the Extreme Glitter Acrylic Paint on the stencil making sure to hold down the center of the letters so that paint does not go underneath and it keeps a clean line. The paint I used required a 1-hour drying time between coats. I applied 3 coats total, allowing drying time between each coat, on the last coat I removed the stencil and allowed to dry completely for 24 hours.
- Once completely dry, hang and enjoy!
How to Make:
- plastic stencils work the best when working with glittery paint that may require a lot of coats. Paper stencils may stick to the dried paint and be difficult to remove.
- One can create these Burlap letters using other paints as well like Apple Barrel acrylic paint (also sold at Walmart)
- For a more glittery look, paint the letters with one coat of solid acrylic paint, remove the stencil, and dust the wet paint with loose glitter. Dump off the excess glitter and allow to dry completely.