Shopping

I did a little shopping today and found some really good deal. One in particular was such a good deal that I had to do the happy dance in the aisle when I found it.

How much do you think I paid for this ROXY track jacket?

zipuptrackjacket.png
The original price of this jacket in a department store is $52.00, at the discount store they sell it at $22.99, I bought it on clearance at $0.99!!! Yes, you did read it right, A DOLLAR for a super cute jacket. Here is the proof…
savings.png
Some other items that I purchased were a tank top, some sleep bottoms, and a super cute purse all on clearance, nothing was over $10! Out of all the items that I bought I am absolutely in love with the purse and the $1 jacket!
shoppingtrip.png newpurse.png
Whenever I watch makeover shows and they make people over for $100, I always feel that I can do so much better than that. I think I could put a whole outfit together for just $50. These people need to hire me because I am one frugal shopper. Everything I buy is always name brand but I never pay close to name brand prices.

Here are some my secrets for whenever I go shopping [shh! don’t tell anyone]:

• Always go to discount stores FIRST! [i.e. Ross, Marshall’s, T.J. Maxx, Outlet Malls]
  • Go straight to the clearance section, or look for clearance tags only [even though it is already discounted at the discount store you have a better savings if you catch it on clearance…i.e. $1.00!]
  • If you see something you really like, have the will power to wait until it goes on clearance, if you never catch it on clearance or the item is all gone the next time you check on it, then it just wasn’t ment to be…something better is probably waiting on you somewhere else.
  • When it comes to basic household items, the Do$$ar store is your best friend [only the dollar stores that everything in the store is 1 dollar]

I have been shopping this way for so long that I can’t possibly pay full price for anything.  My husband gets mad when I put stuff back that I really like or want but isn’t on clearance.  I physically cannot bring myself to pay full price or full discounted price for it.  I look at it this way, if I have $20…do I want to buy one item for $20 or get 3 or 4 items for the same amount of money.  I always opt for the “more stuff for the buck” approach.  I have also come to find that if I do pay full price for something that it tears up in the same amount of time as an item that I purchased on clearance.  So what is the reasoning in paying full price for anything?
Do you have any frugal tips you wanna share?

1. February 11, 2006 / 5:59 am

Woooohooooo!
    You had a great day She!
    ;)
    That’s one of the reasons of why I want to lose weight.
    At size 20 it is very difficult to find good clearance stuff!
    It mades me mad to waste my money!

2. February 11, 2006 / 10:49 am

Im Jealous :C

3. February 11, 2006 / 10:54 am

LOL, I was getting mad because I kept finding large, xlarge, and xxlarge stuff, all I kept finding were the larger sizes and all the smaller ones were gone. I’m not that big anymore but I got larges because they were such a good deal and the smallest size available. The sleep bottoms and tank, I’ll probably just be wearing around the house anyway so it doesn’t matter if they are a little big. In terms of the jacket, I always buy my jackets a size bigger because I like them to cover my hands when it is cold since i can never find my gloves and also to make room for heavy sweaters.
    I understand completely about not wanting to waste any money on clothes whilst you are losing weight. For the longest time I have gone without buying anything new because I knew I wouldn’t be able to wear it after I lost the weight. Hubby would get mad because I would never spend my money on myself, I’d buy a new excersise tape, stuff for the house or my son but never clothes. Since I’ve lost 62 lbs. I took my tax return money and bought a couple celebration peices. Have a mentioned how much I love that purse. Purses always make me feel good and they don’t come in a size. For most women, shoes are there “feel good” buy, for me it is a new purse [on clearance of course]. The next time I buy a purse will be when I reach my goal weight [yet another celebration peice, hee hee].
    Keep working at the weight thing, You’ll be bragging about your celebratory peices before you know it.

4. February 12, 2006 / 2:15 am

Andrea: LOL, you just gotta know how to look ;P

5. February 12, 2006 / 1:14 pm

Found you through the housewife mafia webring. Cute track jacket! I can’t pay full price for clothes either, except socks and undies of course. There is a thrift store near me run by the Salvation Army that only sells clean stuff in decent condition. I find all kinds of name brands for less than$1.79 each!

6. February 12, 2006 / 5:45 pm

Elizabeth, that sounds like my kind of store. I wonder if we have a place like that near me. I’ll have to have looksy. Thanx for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I hope you visit often.