How to Watermark your Photographs using Gimp

How To Watermark/ Product Photography:  Otopia

Several people have been e-mailing me asking me how I watermark my photographs so I thought I would make another tutorial to show you just how simple it is to watermark your photographs using my favorite little program, Gimp.

Here are the steps to watermark your photograph.

First, have your photo and watermark image handy. You should create your own personal watermark separately from your photograph so that you won’t have to keep recreating it each time you edit a photo for the web. I create all of my watermarks in png format that way I can keep my transparent background which looks best when overlayed on top of your photos.

1. Open image you want to watermark
2. Choose File>Open as new layer
3. Choose your watermark file
4. Move your watermark to wherever you want to put it on your photo. Pressing “M” on your keyboard will make the whole layer that you just pasted moveable.
5. Change the opacity. I choose 25% on the image above but you can choose as much or as little opacity that you feel comfortable with.
6. Choose Image> Flatten Image
7. Choose File> Save as.
DONE!!!!

Let me know how you liked the tutorial. If you want to share what you have learned, leave a link to the image you have watermarked in the comments below. I’d love to see what you have learned.

1. July 28, 2008 / 8:37 am

Great tutorial! Thanks.

After I try it, I’ll leave a link. Just wanted you to know that I appreciate the post. I’ve never heard of Gimp until today!

Thanks!!

2. July 29, 2008 / 12:40 pm

Thank you so much. If there is anything else you would like to see in a tutorial let me know. I would be more than happy to make a tut for you.

3. July 30, 2008 / 2:34 am

I don’t use GIMP but that’s awesome! I’m sure it’ll come in handy for GIMP users! =)

4. July 30, 2008 / 8:46 am

Can you do a tutorial on how you created your watermark?
    thanks,
    farmnwife

5. July 31, 2008 / 12:16 am

Awesome..!! thanks..!! i will try it soon.. :)

6. Holly
    September 16, 2008 / 5:31 pm

I agree w/ farmnwife. This is my first time using gimp and I have a photo’s on my website I dont want to be copied. If you could please do a tutorial on how you created your watermark that would be so helpful!

7. joy
    December 17, 2008 / 5:05 pm

I don’t understand how to get a watermark. Do you have to make it and how do I do that??

8. December 19, 2008 / 12:59 am

I hope you will do more of these types of tutorials. They are so helpful. :)

9. joy
    December 28, 2008 / 5:10 pm

could you do a tutorial on how to make a watermark and how to take a person out of a background and put in another. Your tutorials are very helpful. but I need help with these others

10. January 5, 2012 / 5:01 am

Thanks for the help. I was trying to figure this out and looked at a few other "tutorials" elsewhere and I was rather clueless, considering i just downloaded GIMP. :) Holy cow, this is an old post, i just realized, but oh well..leaving you a thank you anyways. :)
    My recent post Land of Ash – Book Review

• January 7, 2012 / 7:52 pm

Yes this is a rather old post but I do appreciate you taking the time to comment letting me know you found it helpful.