The weather is getting colder which makes me think and want only one thing….SOUP! I love a good soup on a cold night. Something about it just warms my soul. Now when it comes to soup, I definitely prefer to make my own. Usually soup making for me is a way to use up leftovers in a very yummy way. Plus homemade soup usually freezes well (since I’m the only one in the house that is soup crazy) so I always have some in the waiting.
This week’s Meal Solution idea from Walmart is: Soup and Sandwich Night
prices may vary depending on region (where you live)
Depending on the type of soup that I am serving is usually what determines whether or not we have a sandwich to go along with it. If I’m serving a thicker type soup like Homemade Chicken and Dumplings then we wouldn’t have a sandwich. But if we had a thinner, less filling soup like tomato then we would add a sandwich like a Grilled Cheese.
Grilled Cheese for a Crowd
grilling up sandwichs individually one by one can be very time consuming especially for a large family or entertaining guests. This is how I prefer to make my grilled cheese sandwiches…in the oven!
- Velveeta Cheese 1 lb.
- your favorite bread-we used honey wheat
- Olive Oil
- 2 baking sheets
- Heat oven to Broil.
- Lay out pieces of bread on baking sheet depending on how many sandwich you want to make. If I am feeding a family of 4, I would lay out 8 pieces of bread.
- Slice Velveeta thinly and place on one slice of bread. (4 slices with cheese, 4 without).
- Place in oven. Watch the bread very carefully when using the broil feature, it can burn very quickly. I usually just stand there and watch it brown. When it is brown enough on the slices of bread with no cheese, remove from the oven.
- Once removed from oven, places slice of bread with no cheese on top of the cheesy slice. Brush with olive oil and return to oven to brown again.
- Once browned remove from oven again and flip sandwich over. Repeat the above step, brush with olive oil, and return to oven one last time to brown the other side.
- Remove from oven after final side is browned. Slice and serve.
What is your favorite soup & sandwich combination?
Disclosure: This post is part of a series of Meal Solutions with Walmart that some of my fellow Walmart Moms (Jenn of Frugal Upstate, Denise of Wholesome Mommy, and Lori at My Wooden Spoon) and I are participating in. Walmart has provided me with compensation and a gift card in return for this post. My participation is voluntary and opinions are my own.