Last Updated on
I’ve been having so much fun learning how to create my own jewelry. A couple of weekends ago I tackled learning how to make my own feather earrings. Not only are these adorable and so easy to make (in my opinion) but they are very customizable. They are also frugal to make as gifts (we’re thinking Christmas gifts next year).
It is probably best to watch the how-to video above on how to make the earrings. I’m a visual person and always enjoy watching someone do it than read instructions on the process. But if you can’t watch the video right now, I’ve written out the instructions below the best that I could. Hope it is easy to follow along.
- craft/plastic feathers (I found a bag of feathers in the kids craft section at a local craft store, they have a variety of different colors even peacock feathers as well)
- some earring loops (when you buy these at the craft store they usually come with a bunch so you can make a bunch of different earrings-money saver)
- bendable jewelry wire (also something that comes in many different colors, I used what I had on hand which was just a muted silver color)
- needle nose pliers (again, something I already had on hand)
- additional embellishments if you want like charms, chains, etc.
Things you’ll need to make feather earrings:
- First pick out your feather. Whatever type or length of feather you want to use is up to you. Most craft feathers have long stems on them so you will need to cut down the plastic part till there is just a small bit showing.
- Next cut your flexible jewelry wire. It needs to be fairly long as you will be wrapping this around the top of the feather. You can always cut off any excess after you are finished assembling the earring.
- Take your jewelry wire and make a loop on one end of it. Pair it next to the top of the feather. Pinch the jewelry wire with the loop hanging above the feather together and then begin to wrap the wire around the top of the feather covering all of the plastic stem part.
- Once all of the plastic is covered you can secure the end of the wire by pinching it to the top of the feather or you can cut it off.
- Next take one of your earring loops and with your pliers open up the ring end.
- Slip your finished feather onto the earring loop and then close the loop with the pliers
- And there you have it a finished feather earring. You can proceed to make the other earring or just make the one.
Have you tried making your own jewelry? What is your most favorite piece you’ve ever made?
This post has been linked in several link-up parties around the web. You can check out more craft projects on these sites as well:
- Kuzaks Closet | I Heart Naptime | Heather Now | The DIY Showoff | Keeping it Simple | Sew Can Do | Skip to My Lou | It’s So Very Cheri | Sumo Sweet Stuff | Mad in Crafts
- I’m Topsy Turvy | Craft Edition | Today’s Creative Blog | My Delicious Ambiguity | Hope Studios
- Someday Crafts | Blue Cricket Design | Sew Much Ado | The Trendy Treehouse