Home » DIY / Crafts, FAQ Tuesdays, Fashion, Favorite, Headline

DIY: How to make Feather Earrings

1 February 2011 25 Comments Disclosure

I’ve been having so much fun learning how to create my own jewelry. A couple of weekends ago I tackled learning how to make my own feather earrings. Not only are these adorable and so easy to make (in my opinion) but they are very customizable. They are also frugal to make as gifts (we’re thinking Christmas gifts next year).

It is probably best to watch the how-to video above on how to make the earrings. I’m a visual person and always enjoy watching someone do it than read instructions on the process. But if you can’t watch the video right now, I’ve written out the instructions below the best that I could. Hope it is easy to follow along.

Feather Earrings

Things you’ll need to make feather earrings:

• craft/plastic feathers (I found a bag of feathers in the kids craft section at a local craft store, they have a variety of different colors even peacock feathers as well)
  • some earring loops (when you buy these at the craft store they usually come with a bunch so you can make a bunch of different earrings-money saver)
  • bendable jewelry wire (also something that comes in many different colors, I used what I had on hand which was just a muted silver color)
  • needle nose pliers (again, something I already had on hand)
  • additional embellishments if you want like charms, chains, etc.

Peacock Feather Earrings

How-to Instructions:

• First pick out your feather. Whatever type or length of feather you want to use is up to you. Most craft feathers have long stems on them so you will need to cut down the plastic part till there is just a small bit showing.
  • Next cut your flexible jewelry wire. It needs to be fairly long as you will be wrapping this around the top of the feather. You can always cut off any excess after you are finished assembling the earring.
  • Take your jewelry wire and make a loop on one end of it. Pair it next to the top of the feather. Pinch the jewelry wire with the loop hanging above the feather together and then begin to wrap the wire around the top of the feather covering all of the plastic stem part.
  • Once all of the plastic is covered you can secure the end of the wire by pinching it to the top of the feather or you can cut it off.
  • Next take one of your earring loops and with your pliers open up the ring end.
  • Slip your finished feather onto the earring loop and then close the loop with the pliers
  • And there you have it a finished feather earring. You can proceed to make the other earring or just make the one.

Have you tried making your own jewelry? What is your most favorite piece you’ve ever made?

Related Articles

Save the Trip! How to Make a Caramel Macchiato at Home (Recipe) Better than the Coffee Shop
DIY: Make Your iPhone Charger Glitter and Sparkle with Duck Tape
Storage Solution: Daily Makeup Brush Holder

Back to School: Chalkboard Initial Memo Board Tutorial

Tell Your Life Story: How to make a Glass Memory Locket with Floating Charms (DIY Craft Tutorial)

DIY Nail Polish Wall Storage Rack

DIY Patriotic Door Hanger Craft for Memorial Day

The Easy Way to make Rubber Band Bracelets: Monster Tail Rainbow Loom Review

Tags:

Enter your email address:

25 Comments »

• mammajama said:

OMG!! i am totally in love with the black ones in your post! I am so rediculously busy these days that I just don't have any time for crafting any more but is there perhaps a cheeky chance that those are for sale???

• thedomesticdiva.org said:

I really wish they were for sale but sadly they are not :) I love them too. Probably my favorite pair next to the peacock ones.

• Sara said:

Wow, those are adorable! I am going to have to go check out the craft store for some peacock feathers. I have actually been wanting some peacock feather earrings for a while now.
    I actually just blogged about making my first pair of earrings on my own blog. I would love it if you stopped by to check it out! Thanks for sharing this tutorial!!
    My recent post Musical Wreath

• mammajama said:

How much for a pair on comission then ;)? they're really beautiful. You should do a little side business making them!

• thedomesticdiva.org said:

hmmm I'll think about it. ;)

• thedomesticdiva.org said:

I found the peacock feathers in the same aisle as the other feathers which was actually somewhere with the kids stuff.
    I will definitely come over to your blog and check out your first pair of earrings, I'd love to see how they turned out!
    Thanks so much for checking out my blog as well.

• Dar Dar Bailey said:

wondering what weight wire you recommend

• thedomesticdiva.org said:

I'm not exactly sure because what I was using I have had for a really long time now. I can say though that it is really really thin. Not much weight to it at all and very easy to bend with just your hands if you don't have tools.

• Jess said:

This is great! I made jewelry and sell it online at JessTreasureChest.etsy.com, and I have seen lots of other sellers' feather earrings but wasn't quite sure the best way to attach the feather to the hook. Thanks for the idea! : )

• alicscreations said:

This is great! Thank you for posting. I actually just got some feathers and was thinking I'd start to experiment with them today!

• thedomesticdiva.org said:

Oh how fun! Good luck!!

• shoma said:

very talented…1 question wher can i find the wire? craft store?

• vivian said:

great tutorial! simple and straight forward! you answered my exact question in a simple way. thanks!

• thedomesticdiva.org said:

your welcome

• Madison said:

I love feather earrings, but i never bought them because they were the same as everyone else's! now i can make my own! thanks! but i do have a question, what gauge of jewelry wire would you use?

• thedomesticdiva.org said:

I'm not sure what gauge wire that I used because it was really old but I can tell you that it was really thin and easy to bend with just my hands. I'm sure you could probably use whatever gauge wire you are most comfortable with as long as it can be securely wrapped around the feather.

• MADE.IN.NY said:

Excellent tutorial! Short, simple, and well done!!!

I tried to find other feather earring tutorials on YouTube, but they were so long-winded and all over the place that I lost patience and left before the vids finished.

• thedomesticdiva.org said:

thank you! I hope it helps you figure out how to make the earrings.

• Amber May said:

hello. Heather Im a student from Tri-county carrer center in Nelsonville,ohio.And Im in the fashion and marketing program; I love the new* fashion these days and jewlery. I work on a farm and I just wanted to shout out thinks for having this webpage.It helps me out alot.

Amber May :)
    Thank you.

• Michelle Jones said:

Hello…Thank you for the how to on your feather creation! Using wire as a finding was really great…because findings in my small town are hard to come by! We live in Winslow Az….and Wal-marts it for a quick creation…..so unless we can go to a much bigger town like Flagstaff…my friend and I just keep tabs on the craft department…..so thanks a whole bunch…for sharing…you made our day! Lots of hugs! Oh, one Q for you…have you tryed creating a feather and fabric hair piece…in a floral design?
    Peace and gratitue,
    Michelle Jones

• thedomesticdiva.org said:

No, I haven't but I will definitely look into it. If I do do another tutorial with craft feathers I'll definitely be sure to post it here :) Thank you for reading and thank you for commenting!!

• starla said:

i was going to make some but i can't find metal wire form my dad's garage !!!! so i don't know wht to do but i have everything else

• thedomesticdiva.org said:

jewelry wire can be found at most craft stores :)

• dithai said:

I use dental floss and leave the top loop very small so it can't been seen, also is isn't as clunky as wire, giving you the ability to easier add beads or whatever to cover the binding.

• thedomesticdiva.org said:

That is a GOOD idea! Thanks for sharing! I would have never thought to use dental floss, I'll have to try that next time I make earrings.