How-to Plant in a Large Outdoor Container with Better Homes and Gardens
Flowers make me happy. I was recently asked by Walmart as a part of the Walmart Moms to try out a new planter they recently started carrying in their stores from Better Homes and Gardens. When the Better Homes and Gardens Bombay 16″ Garden Vase ($22.96) first arrived on my doorstep the first thing that I noticed was how incredibly light it is. I then noticed how tall it was. The red color of the tall planter is just beautiful and adds just that right amount of color to any space. Since I love to be outside enjoying the deck, I decided to set up my planter there. But before I could begin planting I first needed to grab a few supplies. So with the giftcard provided I headed out to my local Walmart store to see what type of plants Better Homes and Gardens offered as well as pick up some good potting soil for our new planter.
Better Homes and Gardens had some beautiful plants at Walmart. I decided on some yellow and white flowers to compliment the red of the Bombay Garden Vase. One can tell which plants are from Better Homes and Gardens by the white containers at Walmart. Once I found my desired plants and grabbed a bag of potting soil, it was back to the house to begin planting.
Here is how I planted my Better Homes and Gardens 16″ Bombay Garden Vase:
- Drill a hole(s) in the bottom of planter for drainage (only if using outdoors)
- As filler, I used to empty milk jug containers turned upside down in the bottom of the planter to take up as much space as possible. This will not only keep your planter light but one doesn’t have to use as much potting soil to fill up the planter if planting plants that do not require a lot of root room.
- Then I added potting soil. I picked a moisture control potting soil because summers where I live can be brutal and we are often on a water restriction so any moisture the soil can hold is great. (the small mini-shovel I used to fill my container with potting soil is from Black and Decker)
- I filled the planter with potting soil up to the lip of the container, leaving enough room to add my plants.
- Lastly I added my plants. I put four yellow flowering plants along the outside with one white flowering plant in the center. I filled in any remaining space with potting soil.
This planter looks great at the entrance to our deck space. It is very warm and inviting. I like that Better Homes and Gardens offers planters like this that are affordable. I’m definitely going to keep my eye out, the next time I’m at Walmart to see what other styles of planters Better Homes and Gardens has to offer.
Disclosure: As a participant in the Walmart Moms Program, I’ve received compensation for my time and efforts in creating this post as well as given samples of the products mentioned in this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Tags: Better Homes and Gardens • Walmart • Walmart Moms