Fourteen Must-Read Books to Add to your Summer Reading List in 2014

I have a problem. But I think it is a good problem as I have rediscovered reading. I’ve read books here or there, off and on, but haven’t quite been as consistent as I would like to be. Reading is a good thing, right? And I want to do more of it. With the warmth of summer comes the desire to fill my book bag and find the time to just read more. Lazy summer days are the perfect excuse to curl up in a comfy, cozy spot and get lots in a good book. So, I hopped on GoodReads a social site that I haven’t been very active on and started adding began obsessively adding books to my must-read list. My problem came when I found myself with the inability to stop adding books to my list. As soon as I was about to click off, another cover would catch my eye. There are SO MANY good books on the shelves right now (and many I haven’t discovered yet) that I can’t wait to get my hands on them.

Must Add Books to your Summer Reading List

So I thought I would put together a list of books that I hope to finish reading in 2014. I know that I’m getting a VERY late start in my “reading challenge” and summer is only so long, which is why I’m giving myself till the end of the year to try and at least read 14 books by the end of the year. If you are on GoodReads I would love it if you would add me as a friend, even send me some recommended reads to check out (maybe they will make the list). If you are an avid reader and not already on GoodReads, it’s a great social networking site to share what you are currently reading, what you want to read, and what you have already read.

Fourteen Must Read Books of the Year!

Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns Wallbanger The Bling Ring: How a Gang of Fame-Obsessed Teens Ripped Off Hollywood and Shocked the World Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West Getting the Pretty Back: Friendship, Family, and Finding the Perfect Lipstick

I Am That Girl: How to Speak Your Truth, Discover Your Purpose, and #bethatgirl The Husband's Secret #GIRLBOSS What Alice Forgot Divergent

Orange Is the New Black The Vogue Factor: The Inside Story of Fashion's Most Illustrious Magazine Reconstructing Amelia Eleanor & Park

This list is a mixture of many different kinds of books. Some books are chosen off of previous books that I have read and liked, some that were recommended to me, some are based off of movies I want to see (Divergent) or TV series that I’m obsessed with (Orange is the New Black), while one is an unfinished read that I still need to complete that I’m not ready to give up on (Revenge Wears Prada), and few are new releases that are hot picks for the year. I tried to mix it up and pick a little bit of everything just to keep it interesting and just so that I wasn’t reading all of the same type or kind of book.

If you were to make a list of Must Read Books for 2014, what would you add to the list?

If you want to keep up with what I’m reading, be sure to check out my currently reading shelf on GoodReads and follow along with me on my 2014 Reading Goal.

Disclosure: this is NOT a sponsored post. I just really want to read more books.
Credit: Book cover images via GoodReads.com

1. July 3, 2014 / 5:09 pm

I’ve read a few of these, they are fantastic! Great list!

2. Jessica Peeling
    July 3, 2014 / 7:09 pm

I loved Divergent – I will have to check out the rest of these books!

• July 3, 2014 / 10:19 pm

I just started Divergent, Jessica. So far it’s pretty good. Reminds me a lot of Hunger Games and I’m really into that series.

3. July 3, 2014 / 9:32 pm

Ooooo I’ve been looking for some new reocmmendations! Thanks!

• July 3, 2014 / 10:17 pm

No problem, Trisha! Do you have any books that you would recommend?

4. Holli
    July 6, 2014 / 10:56 pm

Great list! :)

5. July 8, 2014 / 1:12 pm

I love reading and have “Divergent” on my table as a to read too. I only wish you would have a short summary of each of these books so I’d know if they are ones I’d like to read. I am on Goodreads because their site helps me to remember what I thought about books I’ve read.

6. July 8, 2014 / 7:54 pm

My wife read divergence, and loved it.. great list..

7. July 8, 2014 / 9:27 pm

I’m a huge book nerd and I will definitely need to check some of these out!

8. July 9, 2014 / 3:49 pm

I haven’t read any of those books, but the Orange is the New Black novel is on my Amazon Wish List since I got hooked on the series. I wish I had a lot more time to devote to reading.

9. July 9, 2014 / 7:30 pm

I’ve been meaning to grab a copy of Divergent for such a long time now. Great list here. Thanks for sharing!

10. July 10, 2014 / 12:50 pm

Honestly I don’t even know what books are really out there right now. I will have to log on to Goodreads myself!

11. July 10, 2014 / 6:06 pm

I love Divergent. I always recommend the Matched trilogy- It’s a lesser known favorite of mine.

12. July 10, 2014 / 7:58 pm

I didn’t see your list before I ordered books for my summer vacation. These are the books I did buy (barely used) and took to Ecuador for 3 weeks. THE SECRET KEEPER: A NOVEL by Kate Morton,
    The FEMALE MALADY: Women, Madness and English Culture 1830-1980 by Elaine Showater,
    and CROOKED LETTER, CROOKED LETTER: A NOVEL by Tom Franklin
    I’m in the middle of the last one, I read all through my overnight flight home to Atlanta (home is 3 miles north)It is a page turner.
    I loved The Secret Keeper. A few times I thought I had it figured out but only until I was actually within a page did I have my ah-ha moment.
    The non-fiction Female Malady my be a bit dry at times but by the times I reached the mid 1900’s and started recognizing names and situations it was worth plowing through.
    I would like to read “Getting the Pretty Back”, I started reading Andrew McCarthy’s auto-biography and was disappointed enough that I did not finish. That hardly ever happens.
    Anyhow my two cents and thanks for the recommendations!

13. July 10, 2014 / 9:28 pm

Thank you for sharing! I will add some of these to my reading list!