Last Updated on
I’ve already shared what products I cram into my quart sized liquid bag and recently shared what makeup products I pack with me for a trip away. Today I’m continuing this “how to pack” series by sharing what I like to pack in my handbag when traveling. As I mentioned before, I like simple. So when it comes to traveling I try to do so as lightly as possible. Over the years, I’ve tried the “bring everything with me” deal and have found that most of the time when I’m traveling I’m just so busy doing things that I don’t have time for all the stuff that I brought with me. So I’ve learned to keep it simple. Not only does it make it easier to get from point A to point B a little easier by not having to lug copious amounts of stuff with me, but I don’t really miss all that stuff once I get to where I need to be.
To start off you need a decent sized bag. I always carry an oversized handbag. I just like a big, roomy bag to store my things. The bag you see in the photo above was an absolute find. I had been looking for a studded bag for quite some time but couldn’t find one within my budget. One day while checking out the awesome handbag selection at DD’s Discounts (they are a part of the Ross family) I stumbled upon the beauty above. The price was too good to pass up ($12 I think) and it has been the best bag I’ve ever owned.
I absolutely love the style and construction of this bag. It’s shaped like a long rectangle so there is lots of room to pack my travel essentials plus extra room for souvenirs. In a neutral color, this bag goes with just about any outfit. This bag has handle straps so that I can carry it by hand as well as a cross-body strap for me to wear it across my body to keep my hands free. The studs…well the studs are just edgy and fun.
Let’s take a peek at what is inside my handbag when I’m traveling. I typically leave my tablet and laptop at home when I travel. I would much rather be soaking up the scenery or out doing things than being stuck in a hotel room on a computer. So for the last couple of trips I’ve taken, I have left all electronics but my phone at home and it has been the best decision I’ve ever made.
What to Pack in your Handbag when Traveling?
- Socks: flights can be chilly especially when you are wearing sandals or flats. So I like to pack a pair of socks in my handbag that I can easily slip on when the air gets too cold. Besides there is nothing more comforting than a cozy pair of socks. The ones that I have are a very old pair of aloe infused moisturizing socks. You can find similar ones at Walmart.
- Sunglasses: I can’t go anywhere without my sunnies, traveling or not. Besides blocking the bright sun, sunglasses are great for those quick naps you are trying to take on the plane. I always carry my sunglasses in my handbag in a hard case so that they don’t get crushed.
- Small Organizer: The black and white organizer is something I keep in my handbag at all times to hold coupons and receipts but it also works well when I’m traveling to keep all of the important papers (like boarding pass) that I need to have on hand in one location and not crumpled up on the bottom of my bag. I found the fabric organizer in the photo above on Amazon, it’s actually a coupon organizer.
- Compact Headphones: I love old school over ear headphones because I have small ears but they take up a lot of space. So when I travel I switch out for some compact earbuds instead. I like earbuds that are retractable so I don’t have to worry about getting my cords tangled.
- Snacks & Gum: flights can be looooong and that tiny bag of pretzels is not going to hold me over till I can find something to eat. Many times when I travel I’ve already skipped breakfast, probably lunch, and there is no telling what and when dinner will be. So I always like to pack with me some snacks to get me through my trip. My favorite snacks are Nekot peanut butter cookies, Snickers with Almonds for my chocolate fix, and Freeze Dried Strawberries and Bananas. To keep my breath fresh, I always have some sort of peppermint flavored gum with me.
- Smartphone: as I mentioned earlier, I must take my phone with me when traveling and because I use a smartphone I can pack everything I need to entertain myself on it like music, ebooks, movies, and maybe a game. Although, I find myself not using my phone as much for entertainment when I’m traveling because I’m afraid of running out of battery life. I need to get a power bank so I can enjoy my phone a bit more while traveling and not worry about it dying.
- Small bag of Women’s Essentials: I use many different sized makeup bags in my purse but not all of them contain makeup. Some of them contain my women’s essentials (*cough* ladies you know what I’m talking about *end cough*) and they also hold the smaller stuff in my bag like headphones and charging cables so they don’t get lost floating throughout my bag.
- An Actual Book: I know, I love ebooks as much as the next person but to conserve battery life on my phone I’ve started carrying with me a regular book, often borrowed from the library. This keeps me from using up precious battery life on my phone and gets me reading more of the books off of my fourteen books in 2014 must-read list.
- Wallet: of course, I can’t go anywhere without my wallet as it contains all of the most important stuff.
What essentials must you pack in your handbag when traveling?
Disclosure: this is NOT a sponsored post.