Our favorite aspect of summer is fresh fruit. There are lots of times during the summer months to get together with family and friends. Whether you are going to a family gathering or just hanging out with friends, today I’ll be sharing as a part of the Walmart Moms an easy dessert recipe using fresh fruit from Walmart that is sure to wow a crowd.
For this recipe you’ll need a few fresh ingredients and some small half pint sized mason jars, all of which can be easily found at Walmart. Did you know that Walmart has a fresh produce guarantee? Walmart’s produce is guaranteed to be fresh. If you are not satisfied with your purchase you can bring in your receipt for a 100% refund.
- 1 box Betty Crocker Super Moist Cake Mix- Lemon
- 1 5.1 oz box Jell-0 Instant Pudding & Pie Filling- Vanilla
- 2 lbs. Strawberries
- 12 oz. raspberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Also needed:
- half pint mason jars
- additional ingredients to make cake and pudding according to package instructions
- First start by baking the lemon cake according to the package instructions in a 13 x 9 baking pan. Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Next, cut off the ends of the strawberries and cut into 4 pieces. In a large bowl toss the quartered strawberries with 1/4 cup sugar. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Prepare vanilla instant pudding according to package instructions and refrigerate until ready to assemble the trifles.
- Once the cake is completely cook, flip out of the pan onto a flat surface. Take 1 half pint mason jar and use it as a “cookie cutter” to cut out 12 circles out of the cooked lemon cake. Slice each cake round in half and set aside.
- After strawberries and sugar have chilled for one hour, mix in raspberries (reserving 12 raspberries for the top of the trifles) with the strawberries before assembling the trifles.
- To assemble the trifles, first start with a half of a round of lemon cake. Next, add a spoonful of the strawberry and raspberry mixture. Then add a spoonful of vanilla pudding. Repeat the same process with one more layer of each: lemon cake, strawberries & raspberries, then ending with vanilla pudding. Top the trifle with one raspberry in the middle.
Makes 12 trifles in half pint mason jars.
My family raved about these mini lemon berry trifles. These trifles are full of flavor with fresh berries and a hint of lemon cake. I love that they are served in individual portion sizes because of the half pint mason jars. If taking these to a gathering the lids can be placed on top of the jars for easy transportation. I saved the box that the half pint mason jars came in, that I found at my local Walmart, as a way to store the finished trifles. These would also be great to pack in a lunch for an extra special treat during the middle of the week.