Let’s face it, our days pretty busy especially for us Moms. It is so hard to not feel completely overwhelmed. However, taking care of ourselves, our bodies, is extremely important. Doing something good for your health for as little as 10 minutes each day can really add up over time. As a part of the Walmart Moms, I recently learned about America’s Biggest Health Fair that will be happening in over 4,400 Walmart stores across the country this Saturday, October 10, 2015 from noon to 4 pm. During the Health Fair, people will be able to visit their local Walmart store (if it is participating) to receive free blood glucose and blood pressure tests done as well as vision screenings. Product samples, health insurance information, even immunizations administered by Walmart’s more than 17,000 licensed pharmacists will also be available.
Did you know that shopping at Walmart for just 10 minutes burns 35 calories or that 10 minutes of exercise every day lowers your risk of heart disease? What can you do in #Just10 minutes to make your life healthier? Below I’m sharing 10 ways I’m making my daily habits a little bit healthier.
- Sleep 7-9 hrs every night. Sleep is incredibly important to your health. While you sleep your body does all kinds of important work. I know if I don’t get enough sleep the night before it is near impossible to have a good day.
- Take a multivitamin. Chances are our diets probably aren’t as good as they should be. I like to make sure that I take some sort of vitamin every single day to ensure that I am getting the daily recommended amount of vitamins and nutrients that my body needs.
- Meal Plan Each Week. It can take as little as 10 minutes to write down 7 meals to cook for your family during the week. Every Saturday I will plan out the meals that my family will eat the following week. Not only does this make grocery shopping quicker and less expensive but you’ll also be saving yourself from those last minute stops through a fast-foo drive thru.
- Drink plenty of Fluids. This doesn’t have to be purely water, although that is best, but you should be making sure that you are staying well hydrated throughout the day. I personally love tea so I will have several cups throughout my day which will not only hydrate me but will also, depending on what tea I brew, add some additional health benefits as well. I would highly encourage you to research different types of teas and their health benefits, it is fascinating stuff.
- Move as much as you can. Most of our days are spent at a desk and most of the time it is unavoidable. This is why it is extremely important to get up and move whenever we can. Whether you are scheduling some time to take a walk with the family or just getting up from your desk every few hours for a 10 minute break, the point is to move as often as possible.
- Take care of Yourself. As Moms we are often worried about taking care of every one else in the family but it is so important to take some time during our busy days to do something just for you. Whether it is grabbing a quick shower or applying a little makeup in the mornings, taking as little time as 10 minutes to take care of you in a busy day of taking care of others can make a world of difference in the way that you feel.
- Learn something new everyday. Life is so incredibly busy with days filled with everyday tasks. Take some time out of each day to teach yourself something new. It could be something simple as doing research on your favorite hobby or learning an important History fact.
- Read. As much as I want to read, I am definitely bad about making the time to actually do it. It is so much easier at the end of long day to just want turn on our favorite TV show and veg out a little. But what if instead of turning on the TV, you opened a book instead?
- Keep a Consistent Routine. I know that schedules not only help kids but they can also help us adults as well. So often it is easy to want to stay up an extra hour to watch another episode of our favorite show or get a little more work done but more often than not that extra hour turns into 2 hours and then 3. Pretty soon you are staring at a clock that says 4 am and you wonder how on earth are you going to function the next day. I struggle with my night owl ways but I know that by going to bed a certain every night and waking at the same time every day I am not only insuring that I am getting enough hours of sleep each night but I am also not “shocking” my body with a inconsistent schedule.
- Enjoy Daily Life. Whatever you are doing throughout your day try to enjoy it. Whether you are helping your kid’s with their homework or playing a silly game of hide and go seek, there are little moments and memories sprinkled all throughout our days for us to enjoy. Remember that one of these days you’ll be looking back on all of these memories that you have created together.
10 Tips for Healthier Daily Habits:
What are some healthy habits that you do in your everyday routine? Don’t forget to head out to your local Walmart (more than 4,400 stores across the US will be participating) this Saturday, October 10, 2015 for America’s Biggest Health Fair from noon to 4pm to take advantage of some of the free blood glucose and blood pressure tests, vision screenings, and additional health information. Are you up for the #Just10 challenge? Remember, a healthier life starts with making the decision to do at least one thing, everyday, for as little as 10 minutes to better your health.