This post contains affiliate links to Amazon. For more information, please read our Disclosure Policy.
Table of Contents
This simple recipe for no crust pumpkin pie cupcakes is so easy to make.
Get all the flavors and texture of a homemade pumpkin custard pie without the crust. Individual crustless pumpkin custard pie cupcakes are baked in a silicone muffin tin using 100% pure pumpkin puree.
What you need to make Crustless Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes
- 100% Pure Pumpkin Puree: You could use Libby’s 100% pure pumpkin, another brand, or a store brand version of 100% pure pumpkin in a can. Just make sure there is nothing else added and that it is just pumpkin.
- Evaporated Milk: this recipe uses one 12 oz can of evaporated milk. Do not use sweetened condensed milk, it is not the same.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: you can use either a pre-made pumpkin pie spice like you find in the spice section at your local grocery store or you can make a homemade version of pumpkin pie spice
- Cornstarch: cornstarch is a staple that everyone should always have in their pantry. Not only is it needed to make these incredible pumpkin pie cupcakes but it is also needed when thickening homemade gravy like in southern chicken and dumplings.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: this is needed for homemade whipped topping. It is not completely necessary but it does add a lot of flavor to the final dessert. I would not advise skipping this ingredient.
- Pure Vanilla Extract: while imitation vanilla may be cheaper in price, it doesn’t taste as good as pure vanilla extract. I only recommend using pure vanilla extract in this recipe.
Substitute ingredients for No Crust Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Pie Mix: if you only have pumpkin pie mix, which is not the same as 100% pure pumpkin, then do not add the pumpkin pie spice in this recipe. Pumpkin pie mix is already spiced so there is no need for the additional pumpkin pie spice that this recipe calls for. Also keep in mind that pumpkin pie mix often comes in larger cans and this recipe only calls for 15 oz. of pumpkin puree (about 2 cups).
- Vanilla Ice cream: if you don’t have heavy whipping cream or don’t want to buy it just to use it in one recipe (although you could use what is left to make the best southern banana pudding with animal crackers) you can add a scoop of vanilla icecream on top of each no crust pumpkin pie cupcake and it will be the absolute best pumpkin ice cream dessert
How to make Easy Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes
- Mix: start by mixing all of the ingredients together, all at once in a stand mixer, with a hand mixer, or by hand with a whisk.
- Pour: transfer the pumpkin pie cupcake batter into a container with a pour spout like this measuring cup to make it easier to pour the batter into silicone muffin cups
- Bake: in a preheated oven you will bake these easy pumpkin pie cupcakes for approximately 30 minutes or until the middles are set and not runny
- Cool: these pumpkin cupcakes need to cool completely before being transferred to the fridge where they will become fully chilled
Equipment Recommendations for Crustless Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes in Muffin Tin
- Large Capacity Measuring Cup with Pour Spout: not only does this help in measuring ingredients accurately but it also helps when you need to get the pumpkin pie batter into the silicone muffin cups. Because the batter is liquid the pour spout helps to pour the batter into the silicone muffin cups without making a mess.
- Silicone Muffin Cups: you have to use some sort of silicone to bake these pumpkin pie cupcakes. The reason for this is for easy removal and to prevent sticking. The batter of this crustless pumpkin pie recipe will cause it to stick to paper cupcake liners, pans, etc.
- Silicone Muffin Pans: just like the silicone muffin cups, a silicone muffin pan is an alternative that can be used in this recipe. Silicone must be used to prevent sticking and to make removal of the final cupcakes easy.
- Silicone Spatula: having a good silicone spatula is a must for any home cook. Silicone spatulas are very versatile and can be used in when preparing a variety of dishes. I like to use silicone spatulas to scrape all of the batter and heavy whipping cream out of the mixing bowl so I don’t leave any bit of goodness behind.
- Stand Mixer : it is easiest to make this recipe in a stand mixer but it is not necessary as you can also just whip this recipe up by hand using a bowl and whisk
- Whisk Attachment: this whisk attachment is needed in order to whip the heavy whipping cream, it can also be used to whip the ingredients if you don’t have a paddle attachment
- Baking Sheet: this is a must if using silicone baking cups. I am able to get all of the silicone baking cups on to just one baking sheet. If using a silicone muffin pan, just place on top of the baking sheet to making putting the muffins in and out of the oven a bit more stable.
- Hand Mixer: this is needed if you do not have or want to use a stand mixer. If you don’t want to use a hand mixer you can also just whisk everything by hand.
How to store Pumpkin Pie without Crust
Pumpkin pie cupcakes don’t have any crust. It is recommended to store these in the refrigerator as they taste the best cold.
When it comes time to serve pumpkin pie cupcakes without crust, take the desired amount of cupcakes from the storage container, dollop each one with a spoonful of whipped cream on top, and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice for additional garnish.
Cooking Tip! Make sure the pumpkin pie cupcakes are completely cooled to room temperature before putting in the fridge to chill to prevent condensation build up
How to eat Crustless Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes
You might be wondering, how do you eat crustless pumpkin pie cupcakes? Just like with traditional pumpkin pie, you eat pumpkin pie cupcakes with a fork!
These are not good to eat like a regular cupcake and are best eaten on a plate with a fork. However, they can be topped in a variety of ways either with homemade whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Incredible No Crust Mini Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes Recipe
- 15 oz 100% pure pumpkin puree canned
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 oz evaporated milk canned
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heaving whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add 3/4 cup all purpose flour, 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 2 tbsp cornstarch. Mix on low until combined.
- Transfer batter to a container with a pour spout like a glass measuring cup.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes or until the center is set and not runny. While pumpkin pie cupcakes are baking, prepare the homemade whipped cream.
- After the pumpkin pie cupcakes are finished baking. Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled to room temperature. Remove pumpkin pie cupcakes from silicone muffin cups and refrigerate in a covered storage container until chilled.
- Once pumpkin pie cupcakes are chilled, top with homemade whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice seasoning before serving2.
Homemade Whipped Cream
- In a mixing bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, add 1 cup heaving whipping cream.
- Begin to whip on low speed. Gradually increase the speed every few minutes up to med-high speed. Whip approximately 5 minutes or until stiff peaks are formed. Do NOT over mix or you will start to make butter. Once the heavy whipping cream has thickened, stop mixing.
- Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, and 1/8 tsp salt. Mix on low until combined (about 30 seconds).
- Transfer to a covered glass storage container. Refrigerate until ready to add to the top of pumpkin pie cupcakes.
- If you don’t have or want to use a stand mixer, you can also mix the ingredients either using a hand mixer or a whisk by hand.
- This recipe can be made the day before an event but should be consumed within 3 days of being made.