There is no better southern side dish than creamed corn. Ditch that canned stuff, you won’t believe how easy it is to make this side dish from scratch. Besides, we all know that homemade tastes so much better!
Many nights when I’m not serving southern style sweet cornbread, I will serve this southern inspired creamed corn recipe instead. Gracing my southern table right next to a big tall glass of Southern Sweet Iced Tea, creamed corn is a frequently made side dish around these parts. I love creamed corn, and have since I was a kid. This recipe is quick to make and goes well with many main dishes.
Southern Style Creamed Corn
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 cups whole kernel frozen corn
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
How to Prepare:
- Melt butter over med-high heat in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in flour and cook for about 2 mins.
- Stir in milk until combined with the flour mixture.
- Add in frozen corn, salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Stirring frequently to prevent burning, bring up to a low boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 10 mins, stirring every few minutes.