Table of Contents
When a batch of cookies are completely devoured in the same day that you baked them, you know that you made something incredible!
That is exactly what happens with this chocolate chip cookies recipe.
The secret ingredient in these cookies adds a subtle unique flavor to them that makes them simply irresistible.
Everyone has their own favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. This is mine.
Secret Ingredient to Irresistible Chocolate Chip Cookies Every time
You are probably reading this post wanting to know what IS this secret ingredient that makes your chocolate chip cookies recipe so incredible? Well, it’s instant espresso.
What? I know, it sounds a little weird. You are probably wondering to yourself if this makes the cookies taste like coffee. I don’t think that it does.
Instead the instant espresso enhances the chocolate flavor making for delicious chocolate chip cookies that your friends and family won’t stop talking about.
What can I substitute for Instant Espresso?
Instant espresso powder can be found in the coffee aisle of your local grocer, usually with the other instant coffee products.
One of the most popular instant espresso brands is Medaglia d’Oro, which is my personal favorite, that comes in a small 2 oz. glass container.
If one doesn’t want to use espresso, regular instant coffee, or even decaffeinated instant coffee could be substituted (but may change the flavor of the original recipe just a bit). You want a bold roast because you are using very little in this recipe.
Espresso instant coffee will naturally have the strongest flavor so you need to use very little. If you are using a medium roast instant coffee for example you may need to use 2-3 tsp in this recipe.
The Most Incredible Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp real vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder or instant coffee
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In an electric stand mixer, cream together butter, eggs, vanilla extract, espresso powder, and the two sugars on low speed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: salt, baking soda, baking powder, and flour. Add this to the wet ingredients gradually until completely combined.
- Stir in the mini semisweet chocolate chips until evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Drop by tablespoon onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake in 350°F oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool on cookie sheet for several minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.