This post may contain affiliate links to Amazon. For more information, please read our Disclosure Policy.
Table of Contents
If you are looking for a quick and easy dinner recipe, oven baked burgers is the one! This recipe is perfect on those weeknights when you need to get dinner on the table quickly. Cooking hamburgers in the oven will help you get dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes!
What ingredients do you need for oven baked burgers?
- Ground Beef: use whatever fat percentage of ground beef that you prefer. This recipe will work great with all lean to fat ground beef ratios like:
- 73% lean / 27% fat
- 75% lean / 25% fat
- 80% lean / 20% fat
- 85% lean / 15% fat
- 90% lean / 10% fat
- 93% lean / 7% fat.
- Onion Powder
- Salt & Ground Black Pepper
- Worcestershire Sauce : this adds a wonderful, smokey, steak-like flavor to your burgers.
- Hamburger Buns : use your favorite type of hamburger buns with this recipe or make homemade hamburger buns to take this recipe to the next level!
- Hamburger Toppings of your Choice
- Condiments (ketchup, mustard, mayonaise)
Can you substitute Ground Turkey for Ground Beef?
If you do not like or do not want to use ground beef then you can substitute ground turkey or chicken instead of ground beef. However, this substitution will change the overall flavor of the “hamburger”.
How do you cook Burgers in the Oven in 30 minutes?
Cooking burgers in the oven is so easy to do. You’ll have dinner on the table in no time flat.
- Cut: start by cutting a large sweet onion into rings. Line a glass baking dish with the onion rings to elevate the hamburgers from the bottom of the pan as they cook and add a wonderful onion flavor to your burgers.
- Season: seasoning your ground beef with onion powder and Worcestershire sauce make homemade hamburgers have lots of flavor
- Shape: no need for a fancy hamburger press, your hands can do the job just fine. Roll the hamburger meat into a ball before smashing them out flat with your hands. Just remember to smash them as thin as possible because they will shrink as they cook in the oven.
- Bake: the oven baked burgers cook quickly in a 400°F oven for only 20-25 minutes which gives you plenty of time to prepare any sides that you would like to make to compliment the burgers like homemade French fries.
What do you need for cooking hamburgers in the oven?
- 4.8 Qt Glass Baking Dish: you need a large baking dish for oven baked burgers to allow for enough space for your flattened burgers to cook without them overlapping
- Mandoline Vegetable and Fruit Slicer: this is great for creating perfect, even slices of vegetables like onions. Use onions to line the bottom of your baking dish before baking hamburgers to add more flavor and keep the beef off the bottom of the baking dish
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl: I love to use stainless steel or glass when cooking and preparing food. When making homemade hamburgers I like to use a stainless steel mixing bowl when mixing the spices into the meat because the stainless steel helps to keep the meat cool as I prepare it for cooking
- Stainless Steel Burger Press: if you don’t like to flatten your hamburgers by hand you can use this stainless steel burger press as an alternative. This can help ensure that all your hamburgers are uniform in thickness so that they will cook evenly in the oven
Cooking TIP! If you are going to use a burger press to make even smashed hamburgers before baking them in the oven, put the beef between two pieces of parchment paper or wax paper before smashing the beef flat. This will help to keep your burger press clean and will make it easier to transfer the smash burger to your baking dish.
How long to cook burgers in the oven at 400?
Cooking hamburgers in the oven is one of the quickest and easiest ways to prepare homemade hamburgers. Bake burgers in an oven at 400°F for 20-25 minutes or until desired doneness is achieved.
What seasoning to put on burgers?
Before baking burgers in the oven, don’t forget to season your meat! Hamburger seasoning is very easy to make. How to season hamburger meat is all about personal taste preferences.
My favorite way to season hamburger meat is with onion powder, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. This combination of flavors makes the best hamburger seasoning for incredible homemade hamburgers.
Frequently Ask Questions
Here are a few frequently asked questions regarding baking hamburgers in the oven. If you have a question please don’t hesitate to leave it in the comment section of this post and I will try to answer it the best that I can.
Do I have to put onions on the bottom of the baking dish before baking hamburger in the oven?
No, it is not necessary to line your baking dish with onions before baking your burgers in the oven. The purpose of the onions is to add flavor and elevate the hamburger so that when the fat is cooked out of the burger during the cooking process the burger is not sitting in that fat.
Where do I find Worcestershire sauce at in the grocery store?
Worcestershire sauce is typically found on the aisle with other sauces like BBQ sauce, Steak sauce, Ketchup, etc. You will more than likely find the Worcestershire sauce near or next to the Steak sauce.
Easy 30 Minute Oven Baked Burgers Recipe
- 1.25 lbs ground beef
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large Sweet yellow or Vidalia Onion
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl, add 1.25 lbs ground beef, 1 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, and 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce. With your hands mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Slice 1 large Sweet yellow or Vidalia Onion into rings and layer on the bottom of a 4.8 QT glass baking dish.
- Divide ground beef mixture into 4 portions. Roll each portion into a ball and then flatten with your hands as thin as you can flatten them1.
- Place flattened ground beef patty on top of onions in glass baking dish.
- Bake in 400°F oven for 20-25 minutes or until cooked to desired doneness.
- Remove cooked hamburger patty from baking dish and place onto a hamburger bun of your choice2.
- Add with your favorite hamburger toppings & enjoy!
- As the beef cooks in the oven it is will shrink as the fat is rendered out. Flattening the beef patty as thin as you can by hand will ensure that the resulting hamburger patty is flat and large enough for your hamburger bun after cooking. Not flattening your beef patty before baking could result in a thick, small, or round hamburger patty.
- Only remove the hamburger patty from the glass baking dish when serving. The onions act as a barrier between the hamburger patty and the bottom of the dish. The onions help to elevate the hamburger patty and prevent it from sitting in the cooked fat.