How to make Jasmine Rice in an Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker Recipe)

This blog uses affiliate links. By purchasing something after clicking one of these links, I may receive a small commission. For more information: See disclosure policy. Thank you for helping support my family.

If you are like me, you may have recently received an Instant Pot and immediately fell in love with it. The hype is real. Electric Pressure Cookers are pretty amazing. Now you may be wondering what all you can cook in a pressure cooker. The better question would be, what can you NOT cook in a pressure cooker? My favorite way I love to utilize my pressure cooker is to cook a perfect batch of rice. Each type of rice requires a different amount of water and the cook time often varies so it can be a little hard to figure out how to cook your favorite kind of rice in your new electric pressure cooker. Today, I’m sharing with you how to make one of my favorite types of rice, jasmine, in an Instant Pot.

How to make Jasmine Rice in an Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker Recipe)

The key to successful rice cooking in your Instant Pot is taking the time to rinse off the starch before cooking. If you think this step doesn’t make a difference, that is where you are wrong. It is an absolute MUST! The way I do this is I will place the measured amount of rice that I want to cook into the Instant Pot liner, then I will fill the pot with water and swish the rice around with my hand until the water because very foggy (kind of looks like milk). Then I will dump out that starchy water as much as I can without letting the rice fall out. I will repeat these same steps several more times until the water when swished around the rice is as clear as possible (each time you do you it the water becomes less and less cloudy). Once the rice has been rinsed and as much starch removed as possible, then I add the measured cups of water to the pot. The ratio of Jasmine Rice to water in order to cook perfectly in an electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot) is 1:1. So, it would be one cup rice to one cup water.

• 4 cups Jasmine Rice, rinsed
  • 4 cups water
  • 2 TBSP of butter
  • Pinch of Salt

In the Instant Pot, add 4 cups RINSED Jasmine Rice, 4 cups water, butter, and salt. Lock the lid. Turn the release valve to sealing. Press the manual button 2 times, this will turn off the “keep warm” feature. Then manually program it to cook on high pressure for just 3 MINUTES (yes, you read that right, only 3 minutes).

Once, the rice has cooked and the Instant Pot has beeped letting you know it has finished the cooking process. Allow the rice to sit in the Instant Pot undisturbed for 10 minutes after it has finished cooking. After 10 minutes, you can then do a quick release of steam from the pressure cooker before removing the lid.

After removing the lid, use a fork to fluff the rice. DO NOT TRY TO FLUFF THE RICE WITH THE RICE PADDLE. If you use the rice paddle instead of a fork to fluff the rice you will only end of smooshing the rice into a squished mess. Once you have fluffed the rice with a fork you can then remove the rice from the Instant Pot using your rice paddle.

Favorites for the Home Chef

Hamilton Beach Compact Glass Kettle
Oster Extra Large Digital Countertop Convection Oven
Instant Pot 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker
KitchenAid Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer
Kitchy Pizza Cutter Wheel
Cuisinart 14-Inch Pizza Pan

Heather is a homeschooling mom of two boys currently living in central Georgia. She has been sharing her domestic story online as a lifestyle blogger for 15 years. Through her blog and social media platforms, Heather provides a glimpse into domestic life as she shares with other stay-at-home moms how she tackles modern homemaking and the challenges of raising a family.

Find me on: Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

1. Catherine Sargent
    November 2, 2017 / 1:14 pm

This rice looks so good. I need to get a instant pot, I have seen so many great recipes for them.

2. November 2, 2017 / 1:26 pm

Yummy! Jasmine rice is my favorite way to eat rice! What a great simple recipe sing an instant pot!

3. November 2, 2017 / 3:01 pm

I keep hearing so many great things about the instant pot, we haven’t purchased one yet though. I Love this idea to make jasmine rice in it!

4. November 2, 2017 / 3:09 pm

I love jasmine rice, and I totally need an instapot to make it! Looks so yummy!

5. Heather
    November 2, 2017 / 9:47 pm

We could eat Jasmine Rice daily. This sounds so simple. I can’t believe that I still don’t have an instant pot. With a mom’s busy schedule, I don’t know how I’m still living without it.

6. November 4, 2017 / 12:55 am

I love Jasmine rice! It has a nice flavor and texture that is very distinct from regular white long grain rice. Haven’t tried making it using an instant pot before though.

7. ANNA
    February 7, 2018 / 12:01 am

Hi Heather,
    Love your blog ,very inspiring..looking to buy instant pot on a deal…..any ideas~I am on tight budget.

Thanks
    Anna

• February 7, 2018 / 8:05 am

The best deals on Instant Pots that I have seen so far have always been on Black Friday. I would save up gradually and then wait for a Black Friday sale at a major retailer or online at like Amazon on Cyber Monday. November seems to be the best month as far as sales go. You could also lookout for a used one, maybe at a local garage sale, Goodwill, Ebay, or on Facebook Marketplace. Good luck, I hope you find a great deal!

• Rich l
        November 15, 2018 / 4:50 pm

There are several other brands of electric pressure cooker. I would not rule then out, a few even come with accessories that one would want to pay extra for with the instant pot.

• December 4, 2018 / 6:16 am

You are right, Rich. Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to try any other electric pressure cookers because I currently own the Instant Pot. I’m sure there are many other wonderful electric pressure cookers on the market today. I am just not aware of their differences compared to the Instant Pot so I cannot speak on how to make jasmine rice in another appliance.

8. Lorna
    April 13, 2018 / 6:18 am

Hi do you know the max cups of rice you can do for a full instant pot of jasmine rice? Thank you

• April 13, 2018 / 6:24 am

I do not as it would vary based on the size Instant Pot that you have. There are measurements on the inside of your Instant Pot liner that can give you an idea of what the max capacity is. However, I would look on the official Instant Pot website as I’m sure the have some information on there for the max amount of rice your Instant Pot can produce based on its size.

9. Roberta
    April 22, 2018 / 7:19 pm

If you make more then 4 cups of jasmine rice do you need to add more minutes to the cooking time? Or will 4 minutes be good if I doubled the amount of rice?

• April 22, 2018 / 7:27 pm

As far as I know you do not need to increase the cook time if you double the recipe. If I make more or less amount of rice I’ve always consistently cooked jasmine rice on manual for 3 minutes in the Instant Pot.

10. Lisa
    December 17, 2018 / 7:43 pm

I did not believe that the rice would cook in 3 minutes. I just knew it wasn’t going to work. I decided to try it on “family dinner” night when I had a house full of people. To my happy surprise the rice was perfect!! I cooked it for 3 minutes like the recipe said and the rice was fluffy and delicious. I will always cook my rice like this.

My Favorites on Amazon

Stainless Steel Straws with Silicon Tips
Rose Teddy Bear
VenturePal Sling Backpack
Instant Pot 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker
MyMealivos Canvas Weekender Bag, Overnight Travel Carry On Duffel with Shoe Pouch
The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
Organic Bubble Bath Bombs with Essential Oils & Dry Flowers Fizzy Spa Lush
Circleware 1 Gallon Lancaster Glass Mason Jar Beverage Dispenser with Locking Swing Top Lid
Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddler
BrüMate Winesulator 25 Oz Triple-Walled Insulated Wine Canteen Made Of Stainless Steel, 24-hour Temperature Retention, Shatterproof, Comes With Matching Silicone Funnel (Glitter Violet)
Worlds Smallest Glo Worm
KitchenAid Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer
Lodge 10.5 Inch Square Cast Iron Grill Pan
YETI Rambler 14 oz Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Mug Lid
Egofine Popcorn Maker Machine, 1200W Healthy Hot Air Popcorn Popper, No Oil Needed
AmazonBasics Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Pizza Pan
BrüMate Uncork’d XL 14oz Wine Glass Tumbler With Splash-proof Lid – Made With Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel (Glitter Violet)
20 oz BEAST stainless steel cup
Embrava Sports Water Bottle
Nostalgia Retro Hard & Sugar Free Cotton Candy Maker
Womens Slides,Arch Support Sandals with Faux Fur Comfort Fuzzy Slipper
Google Chromecast
You: A Novel by Caroline Kepnes
Shop Now

Amazon Influencer Affiliate Disclosure: Heather is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.