Table of Contents
This post contains affiliate links to Amazon. For more information, read our Disclosure Policy.
Ditch the canned stuff for this delicious, green bean casserole from scratch recipe. Your classic southern green bean casserole recipe gets a makeover using fresh, real ingredients for an authentic homemade taste.
Homemade Southern Green Bean Casserole is one recipe that is sure to please a crowd. Making green bean casserole from scratch couldn’t get any easier than this!
I know that the thought of making something from scratch can be a bit intimidating but it really doesn’t have to be. You will be surprised how easy it is to make cream of mushroom soup from scratch or how simple it is to make your own French-fried onions instead of buying them in a can from the store.
Thanksgiving is a week away which means now is the time to start gathering those recipes and figuring out what dishes you’ll be cooking in the kitchen on the big day. You could be making a full blown Thanksgiving spread or just a few dishes to take over to a friends.
There is a reason why green bean casserole is such a classic Thanksgiving recipe. There is no argument that it is simply, delicious! Homemade Green Bean Casserole is one recipe that will always please a crowd.
Green Bean Casserole from Scratch is Easier than you think!
Nowadays it is all about the quick and easy for convenience sake. But, did you know that making southern green bean casserole from scratch is just as easy as using pre-packaged products.
Let’s ditch the canned stuff this holiday season for real ingredients. Let’s get back to our roots of creating homemade recipes in the kitchen.
Making green bean casserole from scratch starts by creating your own cream of mushroom soup and french fried onions at home.
Sure, opening the seal on a can is going to be an easier and time saving method when you need to make a meal fast. But, there is a specific taste that only comes from something homemade.
The sense of pride one has when you make it yourself simply can not be purchased from a store.
Why Make Green Bean Casserole from Scratch?
In a word…Health.
By ditching the canned stuff you are automatically making this classic Thanksgiving recipe a heck of a lot healthier than it would be if you used canned cream of mushroom condensed soup, green beans, or French fried onions.
By using fresh, real ingredients you are eliminating all of the harmful ingredients that is often found in canned processed food.
When you cook green bean casserole from scratch you know exactly what every ingredient is in this recipe.
Don’t like an ingredient. Don’t use it! You control what goes in this green bean casserole recipe.
Have you ever made southern green bean casserole from scratch?
Store bought ingredients do have their time and place when looking for a quick cooking solution. However, a little extra effort can yield incredible homemade dishes your family will love. You will be amazed at how easy making your favorite dishes from scratch can be.
Make Holiday Cleanup and Storage Easier
When it comes to cooking and baking, I always like to use oven safe, glass baking dishes, especially for casseroles.
For this recipe I recommend using a glass baking dish with a storage lid. I have used these glass baking dishes for years. Not only have they held up well but when it comes to storing leftovers in the fridge, nothing is easier than just snapping the lid on the container.
When your baking dishes have storage lids you don’t have to mess with aluminum foil and plastic wrap which reduces waste and helps out the planet.
Homemade Southern Green Bean Casserole
- 2 tbsp butter salted
- 8 oz white mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 small yellow or Vidalia onion sliced into thin strips
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 tbsp soy sauce low sodium
- 8 cups cut green beans (fresh or frozen)
Homemade French Fried Onions Recipe Ingredients
- 1/2 small yellow or Vidalia onion sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a sauce pan. Add green beans and cover with water.
- Place sauce pan with green beans on the stove and turn on high.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low-medium and cook until fork tender. About 15 minutes.
- Drain cooked green beans and place in a greased 13" x 9" baking dish, set aside.
- Slice the mushrooms and small onion.
- In a large skillet, melt butter on medium heat. Then add sliced mushrooms and half of your sliced onions to the pan. Cook until mushrooms are soft and onions are translucent about 5 minutes.
- Once combined, pour mixture into skillet with the cooked mushrooms and onions.
- Stir well and regularly until the mixture begins to thicken like a soup. About 5-10 minutes on low-medium heat.
- Once thickened, turn off the heat. Pour mixture onto the green beans in the baking dish. Carefully stir to coat.
- Bake in preheated 350° F oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove casserole from oven and sprinkle the top with homemade french fried onions.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Homemade French Fried Onions Recipe
- Fill the bottom of a skillet with 1/2 inch of oil (vegetable, canola, or peanut) for frying your onions.
- In a bowl toss the reserved half of the sliced onions with flour until coated.
- Heat on medium-high. Once the oil is hot, add the floured, sliced onions. Cook until brown in color.
- Remove fried onions from skillet and allow to drain on paper towels. Set aside until ready to top your green bean casserole.
- If you don’t want to make your own French fried onions, then subsititute 2 1/2 cups of store-bought crispy french fried onions instead of the homemade ones in this recipe.
- If using store bought French fried onions, sprinkle on top of baked green beans, return back to the oven to bake for an additional 15 minutes or until onions have crisped up and browned a bit.
- If using regular soy sauce, eliminate the salt.
- Check out my favorite kitchen gadgets for stay-at-home chefs on Amazon.