Southern Sweet Cornbread Recipe

It’s true that we like some of our food sweet here in the south. It’s true for our tea (a southern staple) and it’s definitely true when it comes to cornbread. Some would argue that sweet southern cornbread is almost like cake. While our biscuits may be savory our cornbread definitely satisfies the sweet tooth.

Southern Sweet Cornbread Recipe

The other night, I made cornbread the usual way that I make it and thought that I would also share this easy quick bread with all of you. Many nights this southern sweet cornbread is made as an addition to our meal because it is simple and satisfying and just plain delicious. I haven’t always made it with actual corn in it, though. Adding corn to our sweet cornbread is something that I learned from my father-in-law and its the way that my husband prefers his cornbread to be.

Sweet Cornbread Recipe

Southern Sweet Cornbread Recipe

• 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine 1 box of Jiffy cornbread mix, 1 egg, 1 cup frozen corn, 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter, and 1/2 cup of whole milk in a small bowl. Prepare a cast iron skillet if necessary to prevent sticking and pour batter into the pan. Sprinkle over top of the batter 1/2 tbsp of granulated sugar. Bake in the oven for roughly 15-25 mins until golden brown on top.

Sweet Southern Cornbread Recipe

I’m curious, how do you prefer your cornbread? Sweet or Savory?

1. Melissa Smith
    June 30, 2014 / 9:36 am

I usually don’t add the corn to my cornbread either, but that looks delicious! Not to mention easier than my usual recipe. Pinning for later!

2. June 30, 2014 / 10:21 am

I like hot and homemade cornbread.. Put a little melted butter on it and off i go..

3. Robin (Masshole Mommy)
    June 30, 2014 / 12:04 pm

Oh man that sounds amazing. Corn bread is one of my favorite things in the entire world.

4. June 30, 2014 / 12:21 pm

I love making homemade cornbread! I also use Jiffy in my cornbread casserole recipe

5. Paula Parker
    June 30, 2014 / 12:52 pm

Well, I have a box of Jiffy Cornbread mix in the cabinet and frozen corn in the freezer. Hot-diggity. Thanks for a new recipe! Love it.

• June 30, 2014 / 4:11 pm

That’s awesome @Paula Parker….they are really great paired together.

6. June 30, 2014 / 3:39 pm

Definitely like it sweet. Have you ever tried baking your cornbread in a wafflemaker? Then serving chili on top….SO good!! :) Thanks for the recipe!

• June 30, 2014 / 4:09 pm

No I haven’t @Marya….that sounds like a great idea! Thanks for sharing :)

7. June 30, 2014 / 3:51 pm

Wow! This recipe sounds amazing! I love sweet cornbread and cannot wait to try this recipe!

8. June 30, 2014 / 4:06 pm

I love corn bread… especially made in a cast iron pans like this one. True southern way.

9. June 30, 2014 / 6:37 pm

Wow! Yours turned out great! I absolutely LOVE cornbread especially with some delicious chili! Yum!

10. June 30, 2014 / 6:55 pm

Cornbread is so often bland but when done right and just sweet enough – it is amazing.

11. June 30, 2014 / 7:17 pm

I definitely like mine sweet. I add sugar to the jiffy mix too!

12. June 30, 2014 / 9:06 pm

This looks so delicious! I love cornbread. Your pictures are so enticing. I spotted whole corn pieces inside the buttery looking center- mmmmm….

13. June 30, 2014 / 9:20 pm

Oh my – I haven’t had a good cornbread in years. I need to try this! Yum!

14. July 1, 2014 / 10:59 pm

That looks so good and I am not even a cornbread type of person. One time I made a cornbread that my family really loved, and my husband’s cousin who isn’t even a cornbread person ate it and told me how good it was. The problem is, I don’t have the recipe anymore and I forgot where I got it from. That was the only recipe I want and the type of cornbread I eat. Yours look good though.

15. July 2, 2014 / 12:49 pm

I prefer my cornbread on the sweet side. I do also add creamed corn and honey to mine so this looks yummy, to me.

16. July 4, 2014 / 1:23 am

Hmmm. That’s a good question. Sweet, but I love it savory when used in dressing. I’ve got to try adding corn to my next batch of cornbread. Omnomnom.

17. July 6, 2014 / 10:25 pm

Love cornbread! Thanks for linking up at the Manic Mondays blog hop! This week’s hop is now live. Hope to see you there!

18. July 11, 2014 / 5:28 am

I always use Jiffy to make cornbread (especially during our “Chili” season!). I love your additions :)

19. July 23, 2014 / 3:14 pm

Oh my goodness! My mother-in-law always made this cornbread but I didn’t get the recipe before she passed away. Thank you so much!

{{big hugs}} for making my Honey’s night when I make this!
    ~ Ashley