How to make perfect parboiled rice in an Instant Pot (pressure cooker recipe)

The following post may contain affiliate links.

I’ve already shared how easy it is to make jasmine rice in an electric pressure cooker. In keeping with the same theme, today I’ll share how quickly you can make parboiled rice in your Instant Pot. Parboiled rice is one of my favorite types of rice. Parboiled rice is similar nutritionally to brown rice making it a better choice over white rice (source). The process needed to create parboiled rice gives the rice it’s own unique texture and flavor. If you have never tried parboiled rice, I would highly recommend it. After my first taste, I was hooked and no longer purchase traditional white rice.

How to make perfect parboiled rice in an Instant Pot (pressure cooker recipe)

How to make Parboiled Rice in an Instant Pot:

• 4 cups parboiled rice
  • 4 cups water
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter
  • pinch of salt

Removing the lining from your electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot). With the rice measuring cup, measure out 4 cups of parboiled rice into the liner. Next fill the liner with water and swish the rice around to help loosen any starch. Drain and repeat the process several times to rinse off all of the starch from the rice until the water is no longer cloudy. Drain a final time and return the rice to the pot liner. Next, measure 4 cups of water and add to the rinsed rice in the pot. Give a slight stir, then add 2 tbsp of unsalted butter and a pinch of salt. Place the liner back into the instant pot or electric pressure cooker. Lock the lid and set the valve to sealing. Then, on your Instant Pot press the white rice pre-set 1 button TWICE 2. Once cooking has completed, use the quick release valve to release the pressure. Once all pressure is released, remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork.

NOTES:
1. If not using an Instant Pot, the setting for the white rice button is 12 minutes on LOW pressure.
2. Pressing the white rice button twice will turn off the warming feature after cooking.

Find me on: Twitter | Facebook

1. October 20, 2017 / 1:50 pm

My youngest is obsessed with rice! Your recipe sounds and looks super delicious and so easy to make in an instant pot! Yummers!

2. Jeanine
    October 21, 2017 / 6:45 am

Yum we are huge rice fans in our family mostly because I can’t eat potatoes so this is my substitute. This looks so good and so easy. I need an instant pot!

3. October 22, 2017 / 8:53 pm

I love a great rice recipe. I would love to own an Instant Pot eventually. These recipes make me jealous.

4. Kathy
    November 15, 2017 / 3:29 pm

Is the White Rice button just the Rice button on the Instant Pot? And thanks for the tip about pressing it twice!

• November 16, 2017 / 7:18 am

Yes, the white rice button is the rice button on the Instant Pot.

5. Swati
    November 20, 2017 / 10:55 am

This recipe was amazing! Cannot believe how quickly it cooked :)

6. Adele Aiken
    December 20, 2017 / 5:43 pm

how many would this serve?

7. Stephanie
    February 17, 2018 / 4:18 pm

Is rinsing required to cook in the Instant Pot?

• February 17, 2018 / 4:20 pm

Yes, rinsing is a necessary step to prevent the rice from sticking together. Rice is covered in starch, by rinsing you get rid of the starch so that the grains won’t stick together during cooking.

8. Janet
    March 7, 2018 / 11:22 am

Sorry if this sounds like a really stupid question, but you say to use the little measuring cup that comes with the instant pot to measure the rice. Are you using that same measuring cup to measure the 4 cups of water or an actual measuring cup to measure 4 cups of water?

• March 7, 2018 / 11:38 am

I use the same measuring cup to measure the rice as well as the water. You can use an actual measuring cup if you no longer have the cup that came with the Instant Pot just make sure you measure the rice and water separately using the same container so that the measurements will be accurate.

9. AJ
    May 21, 2018 / 5:56 pm

Thank you so much for this post! I love my instant pot but have been struggling to make perfect rice with it. It either comes out too mushy or too hard. My daughter and I made cilantro rice today following this method and it worked perfectly!

• May 21, 2018 / 5:57 pm

I’m so happy to hear that. Cilantro rice sounds delicious!