Two of my favorite things: Baking & Blogging

The following post may contain affiliate links. This simply means that by purchasing something after clicking one of these links, I may receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you). Thank you for helping support my family. For additional information, please see our Disclosure Policy.

I don’t think I talk enough about my kitchen or rather the acts that go on in there. My kitchen is my haven. My retreat. The place where my creativity is unleashed. Dinnertime is the time of day just for me. Yes, I’m primarily in the kitchen to whip up something delicious for the family to eat but my family is also my inspiration to create in the kitchen. Since my family doesn’t eat out that often it’s important for me to find new dishes to prepare because let’s face it the same 5 or 6 dishes can get pretty boring after a while.

After neglecting housework for the day, I spent the majority of my afternoon whipping up delicious desserts. It started with a box of brownies that had been talking to me for about a week then moved to the cookies in the fridge the husband has been begging me to bake. The simple desserts sparked a hunger, a desire for something different. Scanning the cabinets I came across a can of pumpkin. Mmmm pumpkin. I hadn’t had anything pumpkin since the bitter, cold, winter months. But I didn’t have the ingredients to make a pumpkin pie. So I took to the interwebs looking for a pumpkin recipe. Browsing I stumbled upon several oatmeal cookie recipes instead, with them all looking mouth-wateringly delicious I couldn’t decide on just one plus the lingering desire for pumpkin was ever so present in the back of my mind. What if I added pumpkin to the oatmeal cookies? Would it come out right? What started off as a oatmeal cookie, pumpkin pie mash up ended up being more like an oatmeal pumpkin coffee cake of sorts. Satisfying and delicious it was exactly what I was looking to create.

Pumpkin Oatmeal Coffee Cake?

What I learned from my adventure in the kitchen today is one valuable lesson.
Always keep a notepad and pen in the kitchen.
Had I written down the ingredients and steps that I took in creating the “pumpkin coffee oatmeal cake” then I would have a recipe to share with you all today. But sadly, in my mistake I do not have this delicious recipe to share with you or myself for that matter. I don’t exactly remember what all I put into the “pumpkin cake” but it sure is tasty. I look forward to having a square in the morning with my coffee for breakfast. I hope to again attempt to make the recipe, probably with less oats. And I will make sure to write down every step and ingredient in order to share it with you, my readers.

Find me on: Web | Twitter | Facebook

1. Vickie
    July 19, 2010 / 9:25 am

I LOVE pumpkin! Pure canned pumpkin is very versatile and can go in lots of different dessert recipes. I also like to use it in oatmeal during the winter months along with some pumpkin pie spice. Yummy!

• July 19, 2010 / 3:38 pm

Oh that sounds SO GOOD right now. I don't know what has come over me lately but I've been craving my favorite winter foods. Maybe its all the berries I've been eating lately or my longing for the cooler weather that is ahead.

• July 26, 2010 / 9:13 pm

Oh that looks delicious. I'm craving soups, chili, and baked breads. I'm not ready for the cold weather though – ick! Lucky you, you're in the south.

• July 29, 2010 / 5:20 am

Lucky me? It's hot and sticky. I welcome cooler weather with open arms ^_^

2. July 27, 2010 / 7:48 am

You know they say that people are either bakers or cooks? I am SO a cook! I don't like being exact – I want to be able to chuck in a little bit of this and a little bit of that if I want to – which is probably why my cakes flop so ROYALLY. :)
    So hats off to you – it looks scrummy!

• July 29, 2010 / 5:21 am

HA! That is SO true. I think I bounce back and forth between cook and baker. Some days I want to spend time baking sweets for the fam, while others I just want to get in and out of the kitchen.

3. LoriAnn
    September 16, 2010 / 3:38 pm

Do you have the recipe for the PUMPKIN COFFEE CAKE posted? I can;t find it:<

• September 17, 2010 / 9:18 am

Unfortunately, I don't. I forgot to write down what I put into the cake so even I can't make it again. If I were to attempt to make it again, my thoughts would be to substitute some of the liquid ingredients in a Classic Coffee Cake recipe with a can of pumpkin. I will experiment myself in the kitchen and see what I come up with, this time of course writing down the ingredients. If I come out with a winner, I'll be sure to post the recipe for you.

You got me thinking, now…. Hmmm. This might be a project for this weekend. Stay tuned, I'll keep you updated.

My Favorites on Amazon