Real Life Cleaning Routine for Busy Stay-at-Home Moms

With the holidays fast approaching, most of us will have even less time to dedicate to keeping the house clean. Establishing a daily and weekly cleaning routine can help insure that the house doesn’t turn into a disaster zone when life gets busy.

Let’s face it, constantly cleaning the house is NOT real life.

I have been a busy stay-at-home mom since 2004. Staying on top of housework has always been a struggle for me. I often times feel overwhelmed with trying to keep up with everything and sometimes cleaning the house is the last thing on my to-do list. I always think, oh I’ll just get to it later. Well, by the time later comes I need to do a deep cleaning of every room in our house. Today I’m sharing with you a real life cleaning routine from my busy life. This routine is extremely practical and doesn’t suck hours from your day unless you want it to.

Real Life Cleaning Routine for Busy Stay at Home Moms- Download your Free Planner Today

Printable House Cleaning Schedule

To create a weekly cleaning schedule, you first must determine the various rooms in your home that need to by cleaned up on a regular basis. Instead of trying to do all of the cleaning on one day, break up your cleaning tasks by room. Clean one or more room a day. Cleaning for that room goes above and beyond what a normal daily clean would be. So really get in there and clean out all of the hidden areas of that room.

When it comes to daily cleaning, there are a few tasks that absolutely must be completed everyday like washing the dishes. And picking up miscellaneous items and putting there up where they belong. Make a list of the chores that you absolutely have to get done each and every day. You could even assign these tasks to various members of your family to help out a bit.

I’ve created a printable daily and weekly cleaning schedule that one can print and hang somewhere in your home to remind you to clean different areas of your home each day. You can edit this printable if you want to fit your home cleaning needs. I have added my own weekly cleaning schedule and a few of my daily chores as examples.

For instance my cleaning for the weekly by different rooms in my home looks like this:

• Sunday – Laundry (wash, fold, and put away)
    doing all of the laundry in one day helps to plan outfits for the week and not having a bunch of unfinished laundry baskets sitting all over the house
  • Monday – Basement / Home Office
    because we are a homeschooling family I chose Mondays as my Basement / Home Office cleaning day because this the area of our home that we use the most during the week
  • Tuesday – Living Room & Bathrooms
    cleaning the Living Room is typically a quick and easy job here so I also added deep cleaning the bathrooms on this day because in a household of all boys this is beyond a weekly cleaning necessity
  • Wednesday – Bedrooms
    This day is mostly for my boys to ensure that they have their rooms free of clutter.
  • Thursday – Kitchen
    Because I do my grocery shopping on Fridays, I like to deep clean the fridge on Thursday to take inventory of what I do and do not need to restock up on from the store.
  • Friday – Groceries / Errands
    Getting to the store and doing my grocery shopping before everyone else does on Saturday is just a little sanity saver for me. I also will typically pick up something quick to make for dinner that night while I’m out shopping.
  • Saturday – Garden
    This is the day where we try to get outside (if the weather is cooperating) to sweep and clean up the outside our home.

If you would rather get updates on your phone on which rooms in your home to clean on what days. I’ve created a Weekly Cleaning Schedule that you can add to your own Google Calendar. I’m a digital calendar type of person and I love getting alerts from the calendar app in my phone so I thought I would share the reminders I have set up on my phone.

My Daily Cleaning Routine

There are a few daily tasks that I absolutely have to do every single day. One of them is the dishes. Because I cook almost all of our meals at home, the dishes can get out of hand quickly. Thank goodness we have a dishwasher. Typically I will load the dishwasher at night before I go to bed and unload it in the morning while I’m trying to get the kids up and ready to start their homeschooling. Sometimes I’ve cooked a meal or a dessert that has accumulated more dishes than the dishwasher can clean in one load. So in that case I will start another load of dishes in the morning after putting away the dishes that were cleaned the night before. This ensures that I have all of the necessary pots and pans to cook with that evening because there is nothing worse that going to start dinner and not having any dishes to cook with.

Second, another absolutely must clean area of my home on a daily basis are the counter tops. I don’t know if it is just my family or all families but there is constantly spilled something or crumbs from something else scattered all across my countertops and table. So every night I make sure to wipe everything down before going to bed. This is a great chore to have the children help you with.

Lastly, the final daily chore I do each day is make sure things that have been left out are put away in their proper places. Dishes or cups that never made it to the sink, shoes that need to be returned to their owner, etc. Picking up the miscellaneous items everyday and putting them away helps keep the clutter to a minimum.

What does your daily and weekly cleaning routine look like?

Did I miss something? Let me know in the comments below how you keep up with cleaning your home. What do you absolutely have to clean every single day?

Real Life Cleaning Routine for Busy Stay at Home Moms
Real Life Cleaning Routine for Busy Stay at Home Moms

1. Emma
    October 27, 2017 / 8:49 am

I love this! I need a structured cleaning routine because I too tend to put it all off. We’re having the carpet cleaners over tomorrow and I realized that means I need to clean everything so they can do their job properly. That’s what pushed me to decide that I need to clean regularly so I don’t run into situations like this again! I’m going to use your routine! Thanks for sharing!

2. October 27, 2017 / 8:54 am

This is amazing, thank you for sharing! I am the worst at keeping a house cleaning schedule and always try to cram in all in to one day and end up overwhelmed. Here is to trying to keep my house clean!!

3. October 27, 2017 / 9:31 am

I love how you do a little at a time throughout the week instead of trying to get everything done over the weekend. We definitely need to start implementing a schedule like this in my house. I think it would save us a lot of headache! And time!

4. October 27, 2017 / 10:38 am

This is so helpful, thank you for creating this! I try to clean one room a day so that it’s not an overwhelming tasks by the weekend!

5. October 27, 2017 / 11:39 am

I am going to have to create a cleaning schedule for when I start working out side of the home again.

6. October 27, 2017 / 11:40 am

I’ve been meaning to get into a better cleaning routine! I feel like I let everything build up for a couple weeks and then try and tackle it all at once. I need to make it less stressful on myself!

7. October 27, 2017 / 2:19 pm

I love the idea of dedicating each day to an area in your house. Usually I’m just kind of like “ahhh – gotta tidy everything!” so being able to condense this and say “this gets cleaned today, this gets cleaned tomorrow” can take a lot of the stress off. Thank you for sharing this!

A- simplylovely90.com

8. October 27, 2017 / 6:19 pm

This is one of those posts you didn’t know you needed. Thanks for this! I’ll definitely be adding some of these to my routine,.

9. October 27, 2017 / 9:23 pm

I like your calendar schedule! This comes at a right time. My family is coming to visit and I will need to do a big clean up, breaking it up into steps is a good idea!

10. Nathan
    October 27, 2017 / 11:13 pm

Its an interesting schedule you got their to plan the cleaning of the house. I generally do it on a regular day to day basis so I do not have my laundry piled up and it makes my cleaning easier.

11. October 27, 2017 / 11:42 pm

i like the way you structured all the routines day wise.it helps us to track each and every area of our house.

12. Shubhada Bhide
    October 28, 2017 / 2:57 am

I really like how you organized your everyday schedule. and that Printable house cleaning schedule looks interesting. I will check and try this app to be more organized my everyday household chores.

13. October 28, 2017 / 3:28 am

Such great tips, I too struggle when it comes to house cleaning. I leave everything to the weekend and then weekend becomes so busy, I need to split it up to days and the idea of a printable schedule is amazing.

14. Frank
    October 28, 2017 / 4:47 am

Awesome routine, i think all the moms needs to have this in their schedule week and its scheduled so well.

15. Elizabeth O
    October 28, 2017 / 11:09 am

That printable house cleaning schedule is so helpful and useful for the moms who need to make a plan and scheduled routine for their household chores. I will definitely check this app immediately. I need this in my life.

16. Erica Schwarz
    October 28, 2017 / 12:14 pm

Love this schedule! i work out of the home, so our cleaning schedule ends up being an entire DAY a couple times a month to knock it all out. Wish I had more time during the week to take care of it!

17. October 28, 2017 / 12:30 pm

I really do need this in my life right now, such an awesome idea. Cleaning all at once can surely be tiring,Thanks for sharing!

18. Claire
    October 28, 2017 / 1:09 pm

This list and print-outs are great! I try to clean the house once a week, vacuum, laundry, and everything! Being organized and balancing cleaning with all the other errands are important.

19. October 28, 2017 / 4:44 pm

I do my dishes at night and cleaning of the house on Sunday as I don’t get time during the week. I wish I had more time on the weekdays!

20. Thena
    October 29, 2017 / 10:05 pm

Your organizational skills are on point! I need to have a rotation like this, I feel like I’m just spinning my wheels trying to keep up with everything on a day to day.

21. October 31, 2017 / 3:07 am

I need a more planned out cleaning routine! I work full time and it can be easy for my cleaning routine to slip and when I try to catch up on the weekends it can be overwhelming!

22. October 31, 2017 / 6:15 pm

I never had a cleaning schedule before but it would help out a whole lot. Never thought of this.

23. November 2, 2017 / 1:37 am

I always wanted to clean even just once a week but sometimes i just want to relax for sunday was just my day off. Lol!