Not-Your-Typical Valentine’s Day Gift Guide

This blog uses affiliate links. By purchasing something after clicking one of these links, I may receive a small commission. For more information: See disclosure policy. Thank you for helping support my family.

Valentine’s Day is here and you have no clue what to get the one you love. Maybe you are celebrating GAL-entine’s Day instead of Valentine’s Day. Or perhaps you just want to show yourself a little self-love on Valentine’s Day instead. To help you think of that perfect gift, I’ve created a list of “not-your-typical” gift ideas. You are sure to find a little something on this guide for your significant other, friend, family, or yourself.

Alternative to Your Typical Card

I don’t know what it is but I’m not much of a card person. For one, cards are ridiculously expensive considering what they actually are – a piece of paper. Also, who actually keeps a card? For me, the message that a person takes the time to write themselves is worth more to me than the actual card. I would prefer you ditch the card and just write your note on a piece of paper. But, if you’d rather go a step further, I found some cute alternatives to giving a typical card for Valentine’s Day. For example, an idea from one of the best Disney movies, UP, would be to make your significant other an Our Adventure Book. Another idea would be to give an engraved wallet card that way your special someone can carry your message with them everyday.

Plants are Better than Flowers

You see it every Valentine’s Day, a dozen roses or some other bouquet of flowers. While receiving flowers are nice, they typically don’t last longer than a week. By gifting an actual plant, your gift will last much longer with proper care. I love this heart shaped bamboo as a gift idea. Bamboo is incredibly easy to take care of, you just have to make sure it has water in the vase at all times. Houseplants also make for great gifts as they add greenery to any space and will remind that person of your gift each time they walk into the room. Not into watering? Don’t worry, air plants in rose quartz would make the perfect gift and will be the talk of the office when a friend sees it displayed on your desk. Rose quartz is known as the “love stone” as it is connected to the heart. Maybe she would rather wear her flowers like these stunning lotus earrings that tick all the boho-chic boxes.

Or perhaps the one you are giving the gift to is extremely busy and you want to give a gift that doesn’t require any maintenance. This lotus tea light holder would make a beautiful gift and can easily be displayed anywhere.

But, perhaps the MOST TALKED ABOUT GIFT OF THE YEAR is the Rose Bear and for good reason, I am pretty sure this is the MOST ADORABLE thing I’ve ever seen!

Treat Yourself with a Spa-Like Experience at Home

Everyone loves to feel a bit pampered. In fact, it is actually extremely important to take time to take care of yourself. Showing yourself a bit of self-love not only makes you feel good but also helps you to take better care of others. You don’t need a big chunk of time, just a few minutes sprinkled throughout your day like using a Rose Quartz Face Roller as you massage in your daily moisturizer in the morning, applying your favorite scent onto your wrist in the middle of the workday, or taking the time to enjoy a warm bath by candle light on the weekends with an essential oil infused bath bomb and personal, portable essential oil diffuser. Maybe you want to feel a bit fancy in fuzzy slippers when you are making your cup of coffee in the morning or just want to lounge about in a lace trimmed kimono robe surrounded by your favorite scent coming from an essential oil diffuser after a long day at work. Not matter your preference the important takeaway is to take time out of your day, several times a day and not just on Valentine’s Day, to do something that makes YOU feel awesome.

For the Fellas

Men are easy yet difficult to buy for on any holiday. Sticking with the theme of taking time to do something for yourself to feel awesome, I think a good gift for men is some sort of grooming kit. My husband loves products from Shea Moisture as they are all-natural and doesn’t have any funky ingredients in their products. Their grooming kit is great starter kit for the fellas. Got a guy with facial hair? This beard care kit has everything for care and maintenance.

We all like to indulge in the occasional drink after work or long, hard day. I thought that this whiskey glass would be perfect for dudes and definitely the talk of the man cave.

Something Special for Her

I know I’m not the only lady that likes to accessories, but when it comes to jewelry I want something unique, different, and has a special meaning. For example, this “I love you to the Moon and Back” necklace has such an adorable message to it that you can’t help but feel special every time you wear it. This 108 Mala Bead tassel necklace has beautiful pink zebra jasper throughout that gives the message of “I am Balanced” when I am with you.

Maybe she already has a lot of jewelry and you want to gift her with a place to store it like in this hanging jewelry organizer or place to rest her jewelry at the end of the day like in this beautiful antique stained glass keepsake box she can place on her nightstand.

Not into jewelry? This rose quartz heart shaped palm stone is great to carry with you or just to hold when you are missing someone special.

Books to Read & Gift to Others

Maybe you want to give the gift of relaxation instead. Get that bottle of wine ready for a cozy night in. Curl up on the couch with a soft fuzzy throw blanket and crack open a good book. If you are into a little self-help love, I can not recommend You are a Badass by Jen Sincero enough. And if you are looking for something a little more thrilling, YOU by Caroline Kepnes will have you questioning everything in your life as you sip from your wine tumbler.

Lastly, no Valentine’s Day would be complete without chocolate, so why not treat yourself to a few Hershey’s Kisses or two.

What is your favorite gift to receive on Valentine’s Day? Do you have a “not-so-typical” gift idea?

Not-Your-Typical Valentine’s Day Gift Guide – a list of “not-your-typical” gift ideas. You are sure to find a little something on this guide for your significant other, friend, family, or yourself.
30 not-so-typical Valentine gift ideas that aren't roses

Heather is a homeschooling mom of two boys currently living in central Georgia. She has been sharing her domestic story online as a lifestyle blogger for 15 years. Through her blog and social media platforms, Heather provides a glimpse into domestic life as she shares with other stay-at-home moms how she tackles modern homemaking and the challenges of raising a family.

Find me on: Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

1. MMD
    February 14, 2019 / 6:07 am

Great ideas, Great article!

2. February 14, 2019 / 7:59 am

I am always happy to get books! Reading is one of my favorite things to do. I can’t do plants though. I accidentally kill them.

3. February 14, 2019 / 9:16 am

One of my favorite gifts is a new book. I enjoy reading so I am always up for a new book

4. Candy
    February 14, 2019 / 9:42 am

That little adventure book sounds like fun. I love to write about our travels and what we get upntoo

5. February 14, 2019 / 10:23 am

This is such a great post. I love receiving gifts that I can actually use like candles and new fragrances.

6. February 14, 2019 / 12:58 pm

These are some great ideas. I am so tired at the moment so I could totally do with something like a spa day at home! That sounds right up my street.

7. February 14, 2019 / 1:50 pm

So many Gifts I can’t wait to check out not only for myself but my sister as well because she is single and deserves to be pampered.

8. February 14, 2019 / 4:01 pm

I like the idea of putting more thought into a gift rather than going for traditional flowers or chocolate. That air plant in rose quartz would be a big win with me!

9. February 14, 2019 / 5:21 pm

Gifts for Valentines should be unique and customized to the person. Candy and flowers are okay but personalized gifts are best.

10. February 14, 2019 / 7:13 pm

I love non-traditional gifts. They make the best gifts. I see a couple in there that I would love.

11. February 14, 2019 / 7:48 pm

This is a great post on non-traditional gifts for Valentine’s Day. I would rather spend my money on experiences these days so that is more my thing. Lol!

12. February 15, 2019 / 6:21 am

I’d take any of these! What a great list to choose from. I am sharing with my husband for the future.

13. February 15, 2019 / 10:24 am

So many awesome ideas here. I love the idea of giving books with a cozy blanket and some tea bags! What a sweet, unique idea.

14. February 15, 2019 / 1:32 pm

I love all your ideas! Sometimes it’s better to think outside of the box and choose something your beau would rather have than picking up a cliche Valentines gift :)

Louise x

15. Beth
    February 15, 2019 / 5:04 pm

I always appreciate a gift on Valentine’s Day, but it is usually a pretty small thing. Plants are one of my favorite gifts for any occasion.

16. February 15, 2019 / 5:09 pm

Love all the gift options you’ve shared! Plants are such a great gift! Love all the gifts you’ve shared!

17. February 15, 2019 / 5:36 pm

My husband has bought me video games and my favorite candy for Valentine’s Day. I am not big on jewelry or flowers so that always makes me happy. I love the suggestions you listed. I am going to looking into that engraved wallet card for my husband.

18. February 15, 2019 / 7:46 pm

There’s definitely something for everyone one your list/post. Babushka put some of them on her wishlist and look forward to getting them. Hopefully soon. ; )

19. Rick
    February 27, 2019 / 3:30 am

This past valentines day I gifted to my wife a wall jewelry armoire. She was too happy to see this. I think it will be a great gift for valentines day.

My Favorites on Amazon

Jade Roller for Face 2 in 1 Gua Sha Tools
20 oz BEAST stainless steel cup
Womens Slides,Arch Support Sandals with Faux Fur Comfort Fuzzy Slipper
Nostalgia RSM602 Retro Snow Cone Maker
Post-Traumatic Church Syndrome by Reba Riley
Rose Quartz Air Plant
Egofine Popcorn Maker Machine, 1200W Healthy Hot Air Popcorn Popper, No Oil Needed
Amethyst Moon Necklace
Hamilton Beach Compact Glass Kettle
Oster Extra Large Digital Countertop Convection Oven
Circleware 1 Gallon Lancaster Glass Mason Jar Beverage Dispenser with Locking Swing Top Lid
KitchenAid Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer
Rose Teddy Bear
MyMealivos Canvas Weekender Bag, Overnight Travel Carry On Duffel with Shoe Pouch
AmazonBasics Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Pizza Pan
Nostalgia Retro Hard & Sugar Free Cotton Candy Maker
BrüMate Uncork’d XL 14oz Wine Glass Tumbler With Splash-proof Lid – Made With Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel (Glitter Violet)
YETI Rambler 14 oz Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Mug Lid
RTIC 64 oz half gallon water jug
You: A Novel by Caroline Kepnes
Organic Bubble Bath Bombs with Essential Oils & Dry Flowers Fizzy Spa Lush
VenturePal Sling Backpack
The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
BrüMate Winesulator 25 Oz Triple-Walled Insulated Wine Canteen Made Of Stainless Steel, 24-hour Temperature Retention, Shatterproof, Comes With Matching Silicone Funnel (Glitter Violet)
Shop Now

Amazon Influencer Affiliate Disclosure: Heather is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.